Are Composite Fillings Better than Silver Fillings?
At Medley Smiles, patients sometimes ask why we only use white fillings and not amalgam, or “silver” fillings. Dr. Nicole Medley promotes mercury free dentistry and is passionate about using only the highest quality materials in her patients mouths. She believes that white fillings (made from composite or porcelain) are better than amalgam (silver fillings) for both aesthetic and health reasons.
Why we only use Composite Fillings
- White fillings can be made of composite resins or porcelain and contain no mercury.
- Composite fillings are white, look completely natural and will match your teeth perfectly.
- Composite resins do not expand or contract like metal so they tend to be sturdier and last longer that amalgam.
- White fillings are stronger: they adhere to the tooth, actually helping to hold it together, unlike amalgam.
- Composite fillings can actually improve your smile by reshaping a misshapen tooth or changing the color of a discolored tooth.